Friday, December 17, 2010

A Special Visitor


At this time of the year many in our society, especially children, are awaiting the night of December 24 because they think there will be a special visitor. This visitor they think will bring them toys and games and clothes…in short all the things that they have been wishing for (coveting) in the last months. We of course call this foolishness but I must admit deep down in my heart I am also waiting for next Saturday. On this day, the Lord willing, we too will have a special visitor coming to our house. This visitor happens to be my one and only younger sibling…a guy named Bruce. It began like this. Several weeks ago I received an email one morning which said, “Hi Donna, Do you still accept boarders? Bruce.” Well I almost jumped off the chair. Bruce my wonderful little brother might come and see us??? You see living in Canada 8 hours drive from my family and 18 hours drive from my husband’s family sometimes gets a little lonely. So I immediately emailed him back the following reply, “WHAT?????????? Are you going to come see us??????????? :) :) :) :) :),” to which he replied, “We have been talking about it.” I now felt like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus to come. My whole day seemed brighter and for some reason I had lots of energy. That night when we told the kids they were simply ecstatic. Having 6 extra people in the house is no new thing for our family…we love to have visitors!! And so this time of the year which sometimes seems somewhat lonely without our family suddenly seems to be brighter.
And so the children of the world are waiting for their gifts and we are anticipating seeing our family, and yet all this makes me think back to the time in Israel when parents would long and wait for a son in hopes that it would be the Messiah to come. Finally the Messiah did come and He came so low as to be born in a stable and laid in a manger. This is the greatest gift one could ever receive and I hope and pray that during this holiday season our eyes may look away from the things and festivities of this world and be turned to the Babe lying in the manger.

No comments:

Post a Comment